The Club is guided by two major federations.
NJSFWC and GFWC provide a framework for the Club’s activities.
New Jersey State Federation of Women’s Clubs of GFWC
Woman’s Club of Ramsey belongs to the Ramapo District of the New Jersey State Federation of Women’s Clubs, the largest volunteer women’s service organization in the state and a member of GFWC.
In 1918, NJSFWC founded the New Jersey College for Women, now Douglass Residential College at Rutgers University. Through scholarships to Douglass students, the Federation continues to support its strong tradition of training tomorrow’s women leaders.
NJSFWC works to enhance the quality of life in local communities and statewide by transforming public interests and concerns into meaningful projects and programs. During its history, NJSFWC’s efforts led to the formation of the Palisades Interstate Park Commission, the establishment of many public libraries, and the passage of the Highlands Water Protection and Planning Act. Every two years the Federation defines a special project and coordinates statewide support for it.
NJSFWC affords every club member an opportunity to develop her individual skills, talents and abilities while supporting her local New Jersey community. Working with local clubs, NJSFWC provides opportunities for education, leadership training, and community service, enabling club members to make a difference in the lives of others.
Jan Hanson, President
Shirley Holly, First Vice President
Barbara McCloskey, Second Vice President
Susan Chambers, Third Vice President
Barbara Cook, Ramapo Vice President
Patricia Notarianni, Executive Director
55 Labor Center Way
New Brunswick, NJ 08901
General Federation of Women’s Clubs
The General Federation of Women’s Clubs is dedicated to community improvement and enhancing the lives of others through volunteer service. With nearly 80,000 members in every state and more than a dozen countries, GFWC members support the arts, preserve natural resources, advance education, promote healthy lifestyles, encourage civic involvement, and work toward world peace and understanding.
GFWC clubs and clubwomen are the heart of the Federation and the communities in which they live and work. They transform lives each day, not simply with monetary donations, but with a grassroots approach to hands-on projects that have immediate impact.
GFWC’s roots go back to 1868 when Jane Cunningham Croly, a journalist, was denied admittance to a dinner for novelist Charles Dickens at an all-male press club. In response, she formed a woman’s club and named it Sorosis. To celebrate her club’s 21st anniversary in 1889, Jane Croly invited women’s clubs throughout the United States to join forces at a convention in New York. On April 24, 1890, 63 clubs officially founded the General Federation of Women’s Clubs.
Since its formation 129 years ago, GFWC has grown internationally to nearly 3,000 clubs, and its commitment to serving as a force for good has been felt in communities across the United States and around the world.
Mary Ellen Brock, President
Marian St. Clair, President-Elect
Deb Strahanoski, First Vice President
Suellen Brazil, Second Vice President
1734 N Street NW
Washington, DC 20036-2990
Toll-free: 1-800-443-GFWC (4392)